PENRITH NSW 2750
WHERE IS PENRITH?
Penrith, New South Wales Australia, is located on the eastern side of the Nepean River, bounded on the south by Jamison Road, west by Parker Street and north by Andrews Road. The boundaries of this suburb have been defined according to the Geographical Names Board. Therefore, it includes North Penrith, Kingswood Park and Lemongrove. Penrith City Council recognize North Penrith as a separate suburb, however, most residents do not. For the confines of this profile Penrith suburb has its widest boundaries. This suburb is the centre of the City of Penrith, socially, commercially and economically. The Civic Centre and Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre, amidst the Central Business District, draw the city’s residents to its active heart.
33 45’01"S 150 41’39"E
Postcode: 2750 Distance from Sydney: 55 km
Land Area: 12.33 km2 or 1233 ha Penrith NSW on Google Maps
Local Government: Penrith suburb is located in South and North Wards of the Penrith Local Government area. Next elections will be held in 2012. State Government: Penrith suburb is located in the State Government Electorate of Penrith. Next elections are scheduled for March 2015.
Federal Government: Penrith suburb is located in the Federal Government Electorate of Lindsay. Next elections will be held in 2013.
Aboriginal Districts: Penrith suburb is located in the Deerubbin Local Aboriginal Land Council Area. Next elections will be held in 2011.
For more general information on the Dharug people please see The Dharug Story by Chris Tobin (Penrith City Library collection 994.004 DHA). It is also available online. For information on the Aboriginal population of Penrith from the 2001 Census of Population and Housing see Population section above.
Origin of the place name – Penrith
Named after Penrith in the County of Cumberland (now Cumbria), England. It is not known who first introduced the name to the area. The earliest reference to Penrith can be found in the 1819 journal of three Frenchmen – MM. Jean Rene Constant Quoy, Charles Gaudichaud and Alphonse Peilion. In their journal entitled "Excursion to the Town of Bathurst, 1819" they refer to the "military depot" at Penrith. To date, this is the earliest reference found using the name of Penrith. The name may have been in use as early as 1817; however, as records show that a Court-House was operating at Penrith from April, 1817. Whether the name was in use at this earlier date is as yet unknown.
Unlike nearby Castlereagh, Penrith was never a planned town but instead grew up around the early Court House and along the Great Western Highway. In attempting to explain why Penrith was named, the "Australian Encyclopedia" (Vol. VII 1965 edition, P. 52) relates that the English Penrith was also built on one long street, and that "circumstances may have suggested the adopting of the name for the New South Wales town, where the pattern of development, on either side of the Great Western Road, was similar".